Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sangria Saturday. And Sunday.

We had a little BBQ yesterday, on one of the few super-hot days we've had all summer. I've vowed to not complain about the stifling heat, since we've been cheated out of a real summer this year (more whining about that here) - so instead, I made Sangria. Problem solved.

I adapted this recipe from one I found on Epicurious, because unfortunately my gathering didn't require a 2-gallon barrel of party punch. I couldn't help but toss in some seasonal fruits, too.

Sangria

3 liters red wine (I bought two 1.5 liter Costco-sized bottles of Shiraz)
3/4 cup brandy (I used Apple Jack)
1 quarts orange juice
1 cups lemon juice
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1 quart chilled club soda
2 oranges
1 lemons
2 limes
2 plums
1 pint blackberries (Hey, why not?)

Pour the wine and brandy into a large punch bowl, or a couple of large pitchers. I used two big glass containers with lids. Stir orange and lemon juice with the sugar until sugar has dissolved. Then add to bowl/pitchers and stir to blend. Add soda, thinly sliced oranges, lemons, limes, plums and blackberries. I let the mixture sit in the fridge for a couple hours, then ladled it out and served it over ice.

Bye summer. Thanks for stopping by. Briefly.

No comments:

Post a Comment